Contact lenses are among the safest forms of vision correction when patients follow the proper care and wearing instructions provided by their Eye Care Professional. Contact lenses are medical devices, not fashion accessories. Safe handling of contact lenses is critical to your eye health. Be good to your eyes, know basic lens care.
- Always, always, always wash and dry your hands before handling contact lenses. Read that again.
- Follow your prescribed lens replacement schedule.You need to know your recommended contact lens replacement and replace them on schedule. It’s not OK to stretch this schedule. Your Eye Doctor recommends a replacement schedule of (varies according to lens type).
- Replace your contact lens case at least every three months.Rinse your case daily with solution and air-dry. Cases are hotbeds for bacteria and fungi. Even if you properly follow cleaning instructions, bacteria will find a way to grow. The best defense is to replace your case on schedule. (If you need a case, stop in and ask us.)
- Clean, rinse, and disinfect your contact lenses after each use.Use only products recommended by your eye doctor to clean and disinfect your lenses. Your eye doctor recommends (varies according to your lens type).
- Never use solution past its expiration date.The expiration date is marked on the bottle.
- Never add (top-off) solution to old solution.Only use fresh solution to clean and store contacts lenses. Do not use solution from the night before – it does not work. Ask your doctor.
- Remove contact lenses before swimming, entering a hot tub, or sleeping.
- If you wear eye makeup, insert your contact lenses before applying your makeup.
- If you experience end-of-day dryness, try using a rewetting drop. We have many that we can recommend. Do not use Visine as they are often not designed for contact lens wear.
- See your Eye Care Professional for your regularly scheduled contact lens and eye exams.
- Finally, if you ever experience redness, pain or irritationwith the contact lenses, TAKE THEM OUT AND CALL YOUR EYE DOCTOR!!!
QUESTIONS? DON’T HESITATE TO CALL US AT (781) 329-0067. WE’RE HERE TO HELP YOU.